How To Get A Welding Job? Complete Guide 2022
The demand for welding jobs is increasing day by day. Some study shows that there will a shortage of about 4,00,000 welder within 2024. So, there are still plenty of places in the job market for a welder.
Even with this much demand, you may not find one if you don’t know how to get a welding job. I’ve seen so many welders around me who are at a certain level of skill but unable to find a job.
So, is there any secret? Well, maybe it’s not a secret, rather I would like to tell you that, it’s a strategy. You may be a great welder who is searching for a job or someone who is trying to start from zero, this is for you.
So, to explore the tips and tricks of getting a welding job, give it a read without skipping.
How to get a welding job?
Everything becomes easier if you follow some strategy and work accordingly. So, to find and get selected for a welding job needs some proper procedures too.
But before moving for a job, make sure you have the required skill. Otherwise, you will get demotivated even after getting a job because you won’t be an effective worker. Though getting a job without skill sounds almost crazy these days.
But the good news is, that you don’t need to be an industry expert to start. Rather, even if you are a beginner and looking for more opportunities to learn, you can find a job that suits you.
But if you’re one of those who dream to be a professional welder but don’t know where to start, don’t worry. I’m giving you some tips. If you have already achieved this level, you can skip the part and go to the next one.
How to be a professional welder in 2022?
Achieving skills need determination and practice. If you have those, the next thing to do is to follow some steps,
- Learn the basics first. There are plenty of resources on the internet that will give you a fair idea. Before entering a workshop learn the welding code and safety procedures. Try to find someone who will guide you throughout your learning journey.
- Spend time in a workshop where expert welders are working. Try to follow what and how they are performing the job. When they are available, ask them questions, if you have any.
- Next thing is to practice on your own. Don’t forget to maintain proper safety codes to avoid danger. Always practice before an expert who can guide you if you’re doing it wrong.
- The best choice can be to get a certification. There are many schools and other institutes that are offering courses. Get a diploma or bachelor’s degree if possible. You’ll have organized theoretical and practical knowledge. Also, the certificate will help you while finding a job.
- Try to level up and learn different types of welding. Don’t stick yourself to just one type. Rather explore several methods and see which works how. You can also buy a mini setup and practice at home.
Step-by-step process to get welding jobs
Now, if you’re confident about your skill, it’s time to approach a job. So, where to start? Here is the answer below.
Build a resume:
The first thing to do is to make a resume of your career. Mention what methods you can perform and which one is your strong point. Don’t forget to add your experience as you may already have learned from a workshop where you have got hands-on experience.
If you don’t know how to find welding jobs, you should check online. Many industry experts are looking for welders of different skill levels.
For internships or for giant projects, recruiters are searching for the right person for their job. Apply for these jobs. Explain how you can serve them and why you’re the best match.
Make calls and emails:
Often, sending texts or emails may not work. Because these may get ignored by other texts. Then, how to get welding contracts?
It’s a good way to approach via calls. Make a call to your potential recruiter and ask if they are free. Tell them about your skills and how you can help them with your services. You can also go out and check out some sites or offices physically.
Branding is everything. So, advertise yourself. Don’t say too much about what you can do. Rather, tell people how enthusiastic you are and how you can face challenges and difficulties. And how anyone can be benefited from your services.
When skills and marketing meet together, no one can stop you from getting your dream job and that’s completely true.
Things to remember
Before applying for a job, there are some tips that you should keep in mind.
- There are several types of welding like MIG, TIG, etc. Try to have basic knowledge about all of them. Industries prefer workers who have a versatile skill set, not one who has some fixed knowledge.
- Certification is not a must. But a recruiter prefers someone who is certified. This thing is nothing but a document that proves that you were supervised by some experts.
- Welding is a dangerous job and if done wrong, it can be deadly and hamper the structure too. So, proper control over the process is mandatory before going into a real-world job.
- Learning welding from basic to a certain level can take six months to two years. So, if you’re really serious about getting a job, refurbish your skills and be updated about modern technologies and trends.
Now you know, how to find welding jobs to bid on. By keeping this in mind, now you’re ready to go for your next targeted job.
Frequently Asked Questions
Well, welding is basically a very practical type of job that needs hands-on experience. So, without prior knowledge, you shouldn’t apply for a job.
An average welder in the USA earns nearly 20-25 USD per hour. Experts have an even higher demand than this.
Since the construction and structural work will increase, there will be a huge demand for welders in the near future. So, without any hesitation welding is a good career.
Try LinkedIn, social media, and other online job platforms, or do some advertising to get clients.
The most paying welding job is underwater welding, which is dangerous too. Pipe welding pays more than general welding.
Since the world is moving towards a revolution of structure and giant industry, welding jobs will be more demanding day by day. So, undoubtedly it is one of the best career choices.
In short, I’ve some suggestions for those who don’t know how to get a welding job. First, learn multiple welding methods and achieve minimum expertise in two or three types. Get a certificate from any institution if possible.
Then make a resume and contact the job provider by mail or call. It’s a continuous process and you should keep going until you get a job. Remember, every time you get rejected, try to improve yourself from the lackings.
Hopefully, this process will help you to get your dream career.